Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

When my son was born...

The year was 1999... Wow! no wonder my boy is just an inch shy of being as tall as I am...
Actually, that is not saying much since I am only 5'1 1/2" Hee...Hee... Please, don't forget that "half-an-inch" part!!!


Anyway, when he was born, I received these A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E set of crocheted pair of newborn booties in white and blue from a woman in Utah whom I've never met-  I've only heard of this woman through my friends who live in Utah... for she is one of their friends. My friends told her that I had a baby... she just got to working her magic and voila` just a few days later arrived this incredibly adorable handmade gift.


This got me thinking...
How wonderful is that to share your talent to make someone feel special?
Of course, my son never wore those booties... it was too precious!  I have it safely stowed away in his very own keepsake box. 


I stopped thinking and put my thoughts to action... :D
About a year and some months later, one of my good friends had a baby girl.  I wanted to do something special for her so I got out my crochet hook and got to work.  All the while, I thought of the woman in Utah and my friend's baby girl.  I crocheted a baby hat and a scarf for it was winter at the time and thought it would be perfect!  After gifting the items I have created, I felt such joy at having given something that has been made by my own hands, I knew the feeling I experienced then would never have been possible had I gone to the store to purchase a gift for my friend's baby girl.


So... I crocheted a little something here for my son... a little something there for my home...etc.etc...


Well, you know?  You can't have it all...  Things got hectic with life and I once again had to put away my hook for a long, long time-

2 comments:

  1. I figured out how to alternate knit/purl last night! Tonight I am hoping to learn how to add and subtract stitches. Soon, I may have this knitting stuff figured out!

    I enjoy your new blog and the fun memories.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. It appears you have the gift of writing as well as being an excellent knitter. Do you ever run out of talents?? Love Michael

    ReplyDelete